What are my unplanned pregnancy options in Florida?
You’re pregnant… now what? Finding yourself faced with an unplanned pregnancy can be a scary time. It can feel lonely and terrifying. What do you do now? Who do you tell? Do you keep the baby? Do you give it up for adoption? So many questions running through your mind all at once can stop you in your tracks. The most important thing to remember is that the decision is yours to make and know that there are people who can help. They are only a phone call away. They will help get your life back on track and will help you sort through what feels like absolute chaos. You have people who care. You have people who will support you no matter what your decision will be. It will be up to you to reach out for help and once you do you will have people on your side to help you navigate through this journey whatever it may look like for you.
It’s good to know that you have options available if you find yourself facing an unplanned pregnancy in the state of Florida. You can decide on an adoption plan, parenting the baby yourself or abortion. It will be important for you to examine your current circumstances to determine what will be best for you and your child. Whatever you decide, it is your decision to make. However, reaching out to a qualified Advisor is a smart move, as they will be able to discuss the pros and cons of each option, and help you through the process.
Choosing Adoption in Florida for your unborn baby
First and foremost, it is important to remember you are not “giving up” your baby. That phrase was used long ago when women had little or no choice regarding the adoption process of their baby. You are not giving up but making the conscious choice to give your child a better life than one you might be able to provide.
- Find an Adoption Specialist in Florida – Choosing an adoption specialist you feel comfortable with will be one of the most important decisions you make. This will be your go-to person that will help answer your questions and guide you in the right direction… the right direction for YOU. The state of Florida has many options to choose from and whether you decide to work with an agency, a lawyer or a facilitator, you will want to do your research.
- Your Baby YOUR Adoption Plan – An adoption plan is simply a plan you put in place for what you would like yours and your baby’s adoption journey to look like. This plan can be whatever you want it to be. Once in place, your adoption specialist will make sure everyone involved knows what the plan will be throughout the entire process. Whether it’s an an open adoption, semi-open adoption or a closed adoption, the choice is yours. If you would like to receive photos and have occasional contact, have a more open relationship with the adopting family and your baby or simply move on with your life knowing your child will be loved and well taken care of, the choice is yours to make. A plan will be put in place to make sure your wishes are met and followed through with. The adoption plan is important as it ensures everything you decide will be done.
- Choosing a Family for Your Baby in Florida – Once you have made the decision to find a loving family for your baby you will be able to pick your perfect family. You can choose a family nearby, or one across the country. There are families with backgrounds of every size, race, gender, religion etc. We have hundreds of families with complete profiles for you to look at. They have photos, letters, and often include videos that will give you a glimpse of what their day to day family life looks like. You will be able to meet and get to know them when you feel a connection. This is the ideal way for you to be comfortable with and excited about your baby’s future with another family. We know how important it is for you to be comfortable with the decision you make. Ask as many questions as you want to, then ask more! This is your and your baby’s journey to find the best possible outcome for something that you had not planned. Your happiness and peace of mind will create a beautiful symbiotic relationship for everyone involved. Most specifically, your baby, who will be loved and cherished by a wonderful, kind, open-hearted family of your choosing. As we have said many times before…the choice is 100% yours to make.
- Adoption Cost in FL – One of the benefits of choosing to find a loving home for your baby in Florida…it’s 100% free to you! You will find assistance with prenatal care and any medical expenses that come up including hospital stays. Counseling will also be provided free of charge, as well as legal representation. You may also be eligible for assistance with living expenses such as rent, grocery, maternity clothes and transportation expenses. The most important thing to remember is to take care of you and your baby during your pregnancy. Not having to worry about where money will be coming from will take some of the stress and anxiety off your shoulders. Knowing you do not have to make this journey alone will also bring peace of mind.
Choosing Abortion in Florida
If abortion is something you are seriously considering, make sure you arm yourself with information before you move forward. It is so important to find a good, qualified doctor who makes you feel comfortable, will answer any questions you have and explain the process to you. He or she will need to determine where things are in your pregnancy and the best plan to follow. This is for your safety and health during and after the procedure has taken place.
If you feel abortion is the best decision and would like to move forward with it please take a few minutes to familiarize with Florida’s abortion laws.
The following restrictions on abortions in Florida were in effect as of May 1st, 2018:
- Health plans offered on the state’ health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion if the woman’s life is endangered, or in cases of rape or incest, unless individuals purchase an optional rider at an additional cost.
- The parent of a minor must be notified before an abortion is provided.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
- A woman must undergo an ultrasound before obtaining an abortion; the provider must offer her the option to view the image.
If you have questions or just need to talk to someone, please contact Adoption Network Law Center at 1-866-614-9082 24/7. We’re here to help.
Parenting your Baby in the State of Florida
Finding yourself faced with an unplanned pregnancy can be extremely scary. Knowing you have a decision to make can be even scarier. Should you choose adoption? Would an abortion be the smarter choice? Or should you keep the baby and parent yourself?
If parenting your baby yourself is the decision you have made, there will be many things to consider. First and foremost being are you emotionally and mentally ready to take on the responsibility of another human being? Are you financially capable of parenting a child by yourself? Will you continue to work? Where will your baby go for daycare? What kind of support will you have from family, friends or the baby’s father? As you can see there are quite a few details to think about if you choose to parent your baby and they are all extremely important details for you to figure out before deciding on this journey.
The financial responsibility of raising a child in the state of Florida can be huge as well. It will be important to examine what your current financial status is. Having a child will require doctor visits and a hospital stay. In Florida the average cost for prenatal care and a normal delivery with no complications is estimated to be around $7,400. A c-section is estimated to be around $10,512. Both of these costs are with insurance. Costs will be significantly higher if you do not have insurance.
If you are a single mom raising your child, or in a low-income family in Florida there are organizations that will help with the financial burden. SNAP and SUNCAP are food assistance and food stamp programs. Social services and Public Aid can help with basic, everyday living needs and expenses. Florida Health Care Access Program helps uninsured residents and single moms receive good quality, affordable health insurance and full access to health care with the help of the assistance program.
To read more about these programs and find others that might work for you please go here.