Our use of the terms “putting up” or “giving up” does not reflect how we feel about adoptive placement. These terms remain the most widely used search terms for those who are considering adoption for their baby, and we wish to reach all who seek this important information.
Helpful Resources When Considering Adoption in St. Louis, Missouri
This page provides adoption information to those who live in St. Louis, Missouri or the surrounding region. If you are considering giving your baby up for adoption, we have gathered information about Pregnancy Resource Centers/Crisis Pregnancy Centers to assist you to confirm your pregnancy, clinics where you may get prenatal care, and a list of hospitals with birthing centers.
For those in St. Louis, Missouri who wish to adopt a baby, further below on this page you will find home study agency resources and helpful information to assist you with the adoption process.
Additional resources for expectant mothers and prospective adoptive parents in other areas throughout the state of Missouri may be found on our Missouri adoption information page.
Pregnancy Resource Centers in St. Louis, Missouri
Pregnancy Resource Centers, sometimes also called “Crisis Pregnancy Centers” are usually not-for-profit clinics where expectant parents may seek assistance to confirm a pregnancy and review and discuss available options. Many Pregnancy Resource Centers are not staffed by medical personnel, and do not distribute contraceptives. Most are affiliated with pro-life organizations, so encourage parenting or adoption, however not all have religious affiliation. There are several Pregnancy Resource Centers providing assistance in the St. Louis region:
- Alpha House Pregnancy Resource Center
- Lifeline Pregnancy Care Center
- Options Pregnancy Center of Ava
- Options Pregnancy Clinic
- Pregnancy Help Center Of Central Missouri
- Pregnancy Help Center South County
- Riverways Pregnancy Resource Center
- thriVe St. Louis
Pregnancy Clinics in St. Louis, Missouri
Pregnancy Clinics are staffed by medical personnel and can address most aspects of prenatal care and family planning. They are able to perform STD and cancer screenings (pap smears, and sometimes mammograms), and can prescribe and distribute contraceptives. The providers of affordable prenatal care in St. Louis are:
- Affinia Healthcare
- Barnes Jewish Hospital Ob-Gyn Clinic
- Betty Jean Kerr People’s Health Centers
- Family Care Health Centers
Information about health coverage for pregnancy care that is available for women in Missouri with limited financial resources is provided at Missouri HealthNet.
Hospitals Serving St. Louis, Missouri
Prospective adoptive parents and expectant mothers may wish to communicate with medical professionals about hospital plans or have other inquiries. The hospitals in St. Louis and the surrounding region that offer birthing centers are:
- Barnes Jewish Hospital
- DePaul Hospital – St. Louis
- Mercy Birthplace - South
- Mercy Birthplace – St. Louis
- St. Mary’s Hospital
Completing the Home Study in St. Louis, Missouri
The purpose of a home study is to assess the suitability and capability of prospective Adoptive Parents to receive a child into their home. There are certain Adoption Home Study Requirements for each state. The process generally includes collection of information with questions about family history, health and financial information, and personal background. Check out the List of Expected Adoption Home Study Questions on our page. Here are some home study providers licensed to conduct home studies for those who live in the St. Louis area:
Bringing Families Together
(314) 731-3969"Having a place to go is a home. Having someone to love is a family. Having both is a blessing. Bringing Families Together offers adoption services to Missouri families seeking to adopt a child."
Christian Family Life Center
(314) 721-7128"Christian Family Life Center, Inc (CFLC) was co-founded in 1979 primarily as a counseling agency and has been blessed to have worked for hundreds of birth parent(s) and adoptive parent(s) over the years in the building of families through adoption."
Family Connections LLC
(314) 477-4253"Family Connections, LLC is a licensed child placing agency and helps St. Louis families, birth parents and children through the adoption process."
Good Shepherd Child and Family Services
(314) 854-5700"Committed to caring for all of God’s creation, we work always to appreciate and respect the beauty and uniqueness of the people and places around us. We care responsibly for our work environment and for the larger community in which we work."
Become A Foster Parent In St. Louis, Missouri
Those who wish to make a difference in the life of a child that is a dependent of the foster care system in St. Louis or the surrounding region may do so by contacting the Missouri Department of Social Services or one of the licensed agencies listed below:
- Angels’ Arms
- Family Forward
- Foster & Adoptive Care Coalition
- Good Shepherd Child and Family Services
- Missouri Baptist Children’s Home
The final step in the legal adoption process is finalization through court action. If your adoption is to finalize in Missouri, contact the Circuit Court counties listed below for additional information:
Spending time in the St. Louis area? Be sure to check out the fun spots; there is something for everyone!