Whether you are looking to adopt a baby or place a baby for adoption in or around Houston, you can find all the necessary information to get started from the guide below. Here you will find links to local agencies, hospitals, home study providers, and more.
Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state or Texas can be found on our state website Texas Guide.
Completing the Home Study in Houston
All prospective adoptive parents must complete a pre-placement and post-placement assessment to be approved to foster or adopt a child. These assessments determine whether the adoptive parents are able to provide a safe, nurturing home to a child. See below for legally qualified home study providers available in Houston.
- S.A.F.E. Project
- S.A.F.E. Project (Supportive Assistance for Family Enhancement Project, LLC) has offices in Houston and Austin with a network of more than 125 professionals providing home assessment services.
- Cindy Chilcote, LCSW
- "As a licensed social worker, in both Texas and Connecticut, I have been completing adoption home studies for over 14 years. Working as both a Home Study Specialist for the multiple divisions of Children and Family Services, and as a private Adoption Specialist, I have completed extensive pre and post placement adoption home studies. This includes domestic adoptions, step-parent and second parent adoptions."
- Houston Home Study
- Amanda Starkey Hahn is a licensed master social worker in Texas with experience completing domestic and international adoption home studies, post-placement visits and updates.
- Adopt for the Love of a Child
- "AdoptTLC is a licensed, non-profit child-placing agency created to serve children in need of permanent families. AdoptTLC is committed to finding safe, secure, loving, and stable adoptive homes while solely acting in the best interest of the children. The agency is dedicated to providing supportive services for all members of the adoption triad including pre-adoption preparation, anticipatory guidance, training, post adoption education, support, and advocacy for both international and domestic placements."
- Adoption Answers, Inc.
- Adoption Answers, Inc. provides domestic and international home studies for adoptive parents in the state of Texas
- Legacy Adoption Services
- Legacy Adoption Services is a full-service licensed child-placing agency that provides domestic home studies for adoptive parents in Texas.
- Children's Connections, Inc.
- Children's Connections, Inc. is a nonprofit organization preparing qualified home studies and reports for all types of adoptions throughout Texas.
- Adoption Choices of Texas
- Adoption Choices of Texas is a full-service licensed Texas agency with expertise in domestic and international home studies.
- Texas Adoption Home Studies
- Texas Adoption Home Studies has been providing adoption home studies for more than 15 years, assisting hundreds of families in completing domestic, embryo, step parent, second parent and relative adoptions throughout Texas.
Houston Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals
Your adoption professional will provide pre- and post-placement services and support through each step of the adoption process. Visit the links below for local adoption professionals who can provide additional information and services.
Become a Foster Parent in Houston
If you decide to adopt an older child, or if you simply want to be a temporary foster parent, you may decide to look into foster care agencies in your area. You will need to meet Houston foster care requirements, which include:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Attend training
- Complete an application
- Provide references
- Complete the home study and background checks
To get started, contact one of these Lawrence foster care professionals:
- DePelchin Children's Center
- Homes with Hope
- Safe Haven Community Services
- Spaulding for Children (now Arms Wide Adoption Services)
For more information about foster care throughout Texas, visit our Texas Guide or the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.
Hospitals in Houston
Adoptive parents and expectant mothers might communicate with medical officials about hospital plans or have other inquiries. If you are pursuing an adoption plan for your unborn child, then you will eventually need to create a hospital plan as well. As the mother, you get to decide where and how you will have your baby, who you want to be there with you, and how much time you would like with your child.
Contact information of hospitals in Houston is listed below.
- Houston Methodist
- 6565 Fannin Street
- Houston, TX 77030
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center
- 6411 Fannin Street
- Houston, TX 77030
- Joseph Medical Center
- 1401 St. Joseph Parkway
- Houston, TX 77002
- The Woman's Hospital of Texas
- 7600 Fannin
- Houston, TX 77054
- Ben Taub Hospital
- 1504 Taub Loop
- Houston, TX 77030
- Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital
- 5656 Kelley Street
- Houston, TX 77026
Throughout the adoption process, Houston families must adhere to Texas State laws regarding the rights of those involved, consent, advertising and more. Find this information here Texas Guide.
Visit your local county court for additional legal information about adoption in Houston.
- Austin County
- Brazoria County
- Chambers County
- Fort Bend County
- Galveston County
- Harris County
- Montgomery County
- Waller County
Spending time in Houston? Be sure to check out the fun spots!