Welcome to Adoption Network’s Durham, North Carolina resources page. Here you will find information relevant to anyone facing an unplanned pregnancy, hoping to adopt a baby, or trying to find the perfect family for their baby around Durham. This guide provides home study resources, adoption agencies, foster care resources, legal information, and hospitals in Durham, North Carolina.
Additional information can be found on our North Carolina State page.
Completing the Home Study in Durham
For adoptive parents, a home study is required. This process helps ensure that every baby placed for adoption finds the right home.
To get started, or just to gather more information, visit our home study page or contact a home study provider in your area:
- Nathanson Adoption Services
- 7400 Carmel Executive Park, Suite 210 Charlotte, NC 28226
- “Like specialists in the medical or financial fields, we specialize in completing home studies (also called pre-placement assessments), the first step in any adoption. We serve clients throughout all of North Carolina with our social workers.”
In North Carolina:
- Carolina Adoption Services
- 630 North Elm Street Greensboro, NC 27401
- “Carolina Adoption Services (CAS) is fully licensed and accredited to provide adoption home study services in the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. We have an experienced and knowledgeable home study services team in our offices as well as many social workers across each of our accredited states. You will be assigned a social worker living close by to you, who will be available for questions and support throughout your pre-placement.”
- Family Services
- 1200 S. Broad Street Winston-Salem, NC 27101
- “Family Services is a nonprofit organization serving Forsyth County (NC) by providing professional services and participating in partnerships that foster the development of children, advance the safety, security, and success of families and individuals, and help build a sustainable community.”
- NC Homestudies
- 2404 Concord Highway Monroe, NC 28110
- “North Carolina Homestudies, LLC. (NCHS) is a licensed adoption agency serving the entire state of North Carolina. NCHS is licensed by the North Carolina, Department of Health and Human Services. NCHS' mission is to provide quality and professional services to couples, individuals and families, helping them to be successful in their desire to adopt.”
Durham Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals
When you are ready to begin the adoption process, you will likely need to work with an adoption professional to receive the services and support you need to complete the adoption. Visit our website for guidance and professional aid. Some adoptive families and birth parents prefer to work with a local or regional adoption agency. The following adoption agencies have locations in Durham and can ensure that you meet all North Carolina requirements as you move through the adoption process:
- Triangle Adoption Services
- 104 S. Estes Drive, Suite 301N, Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- “Triangle Adoption Services is a licensed adoption agency specializing in adoptive home study and post-adoption services to families residing in North Carolina. Our agency has adoption social workers located across the state to serve families beyond the home office in Chapel Hill. These regions include Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, Winston Salem and surrounding areas. Our social workers are seasoned adoption professionals with the highest recommendations from satisfied clients.”
- Amazing Graze Adoptions and Orphan Care
- 9203-101 Baileywick Road Raleigh, NC 27615
- “Amazing Grace Adoptions is a 501(c)3 non-profit, licensed adoption agency located in Raleigh, North Carolina. We provide a variety of services to those involved in the adoption triangle.”
- A Child’s Hope
Birthmother Hotline: (877) 890-4673
Adoptive Parents: (919) 839-8800
- 434 Fayetteville St #2135, Raleigh, NC 27601
- “A Child’s Hope offers domestic, North Carolina adoption services. The adoption agency was founded by an experienced and well-respected adoption attorney who wanted to make a difference in adoption. The Agency’s physical office is located in Raleigh, North Carolina, but the Agency has eight adoption counselors located throughout the state so that a birthmother can receive in person counseling in any part of the state no matter where she lives.”
Become a Foster Parent in Durham
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent in Durham, contact any of the following regional agencies.
- Durham County Child Placement and Permanency Services
- 200 E Main Street Durham, NC 27701
- “Provides temporary care for children who have a finding of abuse, neglect or dependency and are unable to remain safely in their home. A child in foster care has been placed in the temporary legal custody/or placement responsibility of the agency.”
- Methodist Home for Children
- 1041 Washington Street, Raleigh NC 27605-1259
- “We work to provide safe, stable homes where children can thrive and live fully into their God-given potential. While not always traditional or biological, an MHC home is where child and family are equipped to succeed. We build on strengths, nurturing hopes and goals, and prepare all in our care to imagine and shape their own futures.”
Hospitals in Durham
Adoptive parents and expectant mothers must create a hospital plan to ensure that the desires and rights of all parties are respected. You will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Here are some hospitals near you to contact and get started with.
- Duke Regional Hospital
- 3643 North Roxboro Road Durham, NC 27704
- UNC Hospitals OB/GYN Clinic (N.C. Women’s Hospital)
- 101 Manning Drive Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Duke University Hospital
- 2301 Erwin Road Durham, NC 27710
Read up on adoption laws and regulations within both the United States and North Carolina. Visit the Adoption Network Resource Center to learn more and connect with legal professionals. You may also visit North Carolina Adoption Laws for more information.
Contact your local courthouse below for additional help.
- Durham County Clerk of Court
- (919) 560-4166
- 101 City Hall Plaza #2700, Durham, NC 27701
Spending time in Durham? Be sure to check out these fun spots!