The guide below is intended for hopeful adoptive parents, expecting mothers, and anyone looking to learn about adoption in Detroit. It provides resources such as home study providers, legal information, hospitals, and more available to you in the Detroit area.
Find more information about state adoption laws, processes and qualifications on our Michigan State Page.
Completing the Home Study in Detroit
For adoptive parents, a home study is required. This process helps ensure that every baby placed for adoption finds the right home.
To get started, or just to gather more information, visit our home study page or contact a home study provider in your area:
- Child & Parent Services
- “Adoption can be one of the most positive and life changing events. When you are considering adopting and becoming an adoptive parent, you are contemplating a very special event.”
- Keane Center for Adoption
- “The Keane Center for Adoption is a licensed adoption agency in Michigan with 27 years of experience. The staff is a group of forward thinking professionals with a full range of experience providing caring services. Whether you are an expectant parent considering the placement of your baby or prospective parents interested in adoption, we want to give you information and help you to make informed choices.”
- All God’s Children
- “All God’s Children International is an orphan care ministry answering God’s call to provide the love and care that every child deserves. Our vision is to empower local leaders to intervene for the 8 million children currently living in institutions and create more pathways to family and independence.”
- Adoption Associates
- “Adoption Associates, Inc. exists to promote domestic and international adoption for God’s glory. The benefits of adoption offered to birth mothers, their children from unplanned pregnancies, and orphaned children abroad are designed to reflect the spirit of adoption modeled by God in Ephesians 1 of the Bible. Accordingly, AAI is a Christian organization, founded on Christian beliefs and values. Pregnancy and adoption services are provided to clients of all faiths.”
Detroit Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals
As a prospective birth parent or adoptive family, the professional you work with will play an important role throughout the adoption process, providing adoption services and support to ensure a successful adoption. If you prefer to work with a local or regional adoption professional, consider these nearby adoption agencies:
- Morning Star Adoption Center
- 866-236-7866 or 248-483-5484
- 15635 W. Twelve Mile Rd., Southfield, MI 48076
- Christian Family Services
- 17105 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076
- Homes for Black Children (HBC)
- 511 Larned St, Detroit, MI 48226
Become a Foster Parent in Detroit
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent in Detroit, contact any of the following regional agencies. Mission Statements listed below:
- Ennis Center for Children
- “Ennis Center for Children has been working with abused and/or neglected children for over 39 years with our services reaching over 3,500 Michigan children and families in crisis annually. On any given day, we help over 300 children in our foster care program alone. Ennis Center for Children serves all counties in Southeast Michigan with locations in Genesee, Oakland, St. Clair and Wayne County. We are a leading agency in finding adoptive families for children, including those with special needs. Ennis Center also works with delinquent teens, helping them stay safe, stay in school and on a path toward a productive adulthood.”
- “We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion while upholding their dignity, advocating for equality and justice, and seeking creative solutions. A social ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Samaritas is not just for Lutherans. The church has been meeting people’s needs since the early 1900s when a Lutheran "city missionary" arrived in Detroit to provide services to the poor. From the very beginning, Samaritas has reached out to individuals regardless of their religion, race, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Today, motivated to serve others as an expression of the love of Christ, Samaritas helps those in need regardless of religion, race, ethnicity or national origin.”
- Orchards Children’s Services
- “Since 1986 when Orchards Children’s Services first entered into the adoptions field, we have completed more than 3,000 adoptions. Although most of the children are adopted by their foster parents or relatives there is no typical adoptive family and there continues to be an ongoing need for families who are willing to adopt older children. Orchards offers classes that explore the many issues and challenges that may arise as a child and family grow together. These classes are available free of charge to anyone who is interested.”
- Judson Center
- “Mission: To provide expert, comprehensive services in southeastern Michigan that strengthen children, adults and families impacted by abuse and neglect, autism, developmental disabilities, and mental health challenges so they are successful in their communities. Vision: We dream of a day when all children and adults are safe and have loving, strong families with the community support they need to make a unique contribution to the world.”
Hospitals in Detroit
Adoptive parents and expectant mothers must create a hospital plan to ensure that the desires and rights of all parties are respected. You will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Here are some hospitals near you to contact and get started with.
- Henry Ford Bloomfield Hospital
- 6777 W. Maple Road West Bloomfield, MI 48322
- Hutzel Women’s Hospital
- 3980 John R Detroit, MI 48201
- Beaumont Hospital – Dearborn
- 18101 Oakwood Blvd. Dearborn, MI 48124
- Beaumont Hospital – Trenton
- 5450 Fort Street Trenton, MI 48183
- Beaumont Hospital – Wayne
- 33155 Annapolis Street Wayne, MI 48184
- DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- 1 William Carls Drive Commerce, Mi 48382
To complete the adoption process, a finalization hearing is required. Find out more by contacting your local court system below.
Spending time in Detroit? Be sure to check out these fun spots!