Whether you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy, need information about how to adopt a baby, or are hoping to find the perfect family for their baby the guide below can help you. Here you will find legal information, home study providers, foster care resources, and hospitals around New Orleans, Louisiana.
Additional information can be found on our Louisiana State Page.
Completing the Home Study in New Orleans
If you are looking to adopt, you will likely need to complete a home study. This process is required to ensure that every baby placed for adoption finds the right home.
To get started, or just to learn more, visit our home study page or contact a home study provider in your area:
- Beacon House Adoption Services
- 888-987-6300 or 225-753-5551
- 5917 Jones Creek Road Suite 100B Baton Rouge, LA 70817
- “The Adoption Home Study (HS) is one of the most important steps toward adoption. It is required by law from your state of residence. It is a detailed written report of your family compiled by a social worker that involves interviews, background checks and the compilation of documentation to show readiness to adopt. The adoption home study provides families with the opportunity to make sure that they understand the adoption process, clearly define their adoption goals, and understand the impact of adoption.”
- Adoption Home Studies, Inc.
- 3433 US-190, Mandeville, LA 70471
- “This agency was created to meet the needs of adopting families in Louisiana by delivering ethical, efficient and quality services as required by the State of Louisiana, the child placing agency/attorney, and for international adoptions, requirements as outlined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. We specialize in the pre-placement home studies of adopting families, post-placement supervision of adopting families and other services; such as, adoption home study updates and referral services.”
- Open Arms Adoption Services
- 7330 Fern Ave #204, Shreveport, LA 71105
- Open Arms Adoption provides information and resources for pregnant women, people hoping to adopt, information about waiting families, and adoption services.
New Orleans Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals
It is important to choose the right adoption professional for you. Adoption agencies work with you through every stage of your adoption. Adoption Network is here to help. In addition, we recommend contacting a local agency near you in New Orleans:
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans
- (504) 885-1141
- 3019 N. Arnoult Road Metairie, LA 70002
- “Adoption Services of Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans is a full-service, non-profit, child placing program that seeks to link children of all ages to their forever families. Our program is staffed by certified open-adoption practitioners experienced in maternity and adoption services who believe that every child deserves a safe, caring home. Our adoption assistance follows our greater mission to provide dignity through respect and service through love.”
- A Bond of Life Adoptions
- Pregnant: 24/7 Free and Confidential: 1-866-650-5683 Text: 1-317-223-4554
- Adoptive Parents: (317)-873-3841
- [email protected]
- “A Bond of Life Adoptions is a Licensed Child Placing Agency that was founded to create families through the adoption process. We have offices located in both Louisiana and Indiana. For over 50 years, ABL Adoptions has been helping connect birthmothers with adoptive parents. Our highly qualified and professional adoption team is capable of addressing all the needs of the birthmothers and the prospective parents. We handle the adoption counseling prior to the adoption, during the adoption process and post adoption placement; assist families in resolving infertility issues and coordinate the hospital experience and the legal requirements.”
- Volunteers of America – Greater New Orleans Adoption Program
- (504) 482-2130
- [email protected]
- 4152 Canal Street New Orleans, LA 70119
- “Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans has been serving the most vulnerable since the 1890s, when we started helping indigent women and children. Today, we extend a hand up to children, families, seniors, veterans and persons living with disabilities through a wide array of programs in 16 parishes in south Louisiana.”
Additional adoption agencies and resources can be found on our Louisiana adoption page
Become a Foster Parent in New Orleans
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent in New Orleans, contact any of the following regional agencies.
- Crossroads NOLA
- 5290 Canal Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70124
- “In order to best serve vulnerable children in our community, Crossroads seeks to increase the number of suitable foster families by recruiting from within the faith community in New Orleans.”
- Louisiana Foster & Adoptive Parent Association
- 5200 Northeast Road Monroe LA 71203
Mission: “To empower foster and adoptive parents and the children in
their care by providing communication, support, training, and advocacy services.”
Vision: “The vision of LFAPA is that every foster and adoptive family in Louisiana has a support system to call upon to strengthen family relationships, restore enthusiasm, and to create a sense of empowerment when parenting a foster or adopted child.”
- Raintree Children & Family Services
- (504) 899-9045
- 1233 Eighth Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
- “Raintree Children and Family Services is a multi service, non-profit organization assisting the Greater New Orleans Area since 1926. We are proud to celebrate our 91st year of assisting the population of the Greater New Orleans Area. We currently serve participants in the parishes of Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard and Plaquemines. Value Statements include: Commitment: Reach for the highest standards of care to provide quality services, Integrity: Act with high ethical standards at all times, Security: Give children a safe and stable environment that engenders trust, and Hope: Provide opportunities to thrive.”
Hospitals in New Orleans
Adoptive parents and expectant mothers must create a hospital plan to ensure that the desires and rights of all parties are respected. You will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Here are some hospitals near you to contact and get started with.
- Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
- 4700 South I-10 Service Rd W Metairie, LA 70001
- Ochsner Baptist Family Birthing Center
- 2700 Napoleon Ave. New Orleans, LA 70115
- Touro Family Birthing Center
- 1401 Foucher Street New Orleans, LA 70115
Adoption involves many legalities. We recommend you read up on adoption laws and regulations within both the United States and Louisiana. Visit the Adoption Network Resource Center to learn more and connect with legal professionals. You may also visit Louisiana Child Adoption Laws for more information.
We also advise you review the contact information of your local court system below.
- New Orleans Civil District Ct
- (504) 407-0000
- 421 Loyola Ave #402, New Orleans, LA 70112
- New Orleans Municipal Court
- (504) 658-9700
- 727 S Broad St #105, New Orleans, LA 70119
- Federal District Court
- (504) 589-7515
- 500 Camp St # C556, New Orleans, LA 70130
Spending time in New Orleans? Be sure to check out these fun spots!